The Quad

The Quad

No School the Day After Halloween

Sacred Heart Schools will not have classes on Wednesday, November 1st, the day after Halloween and the Travis Scott concert. However, the day off from school is not for students to recover from Halloween festivities, it is for an educator development day. Such was made clear by SHP principal Dr. Jennie Whitcomb, who said, “The placement of the development day specifically has nothing to do with Halloween. Both the Prep and the P8 hold two educator development days during the school year. This year, we aligned with the P8, which has held their educator development day on November 1 for the past several years.”
The educator development day will be led by Dr. Diana Neebe, Assistant Principal of Instruction and Faculty Development
She has organized the day to support educators in thinking about how AI is shifting and will continue to shift the world around us. Furthermore, the day is intended to deepen educators’ understanding of how AI is affecting the world outside of the Sacred Heart campus in aspects of economics, politics, global relations, and more.
The development day will be divided into two parts: the morning will have a guest speaker, and the afternoon will consist of conversations about the effects of AI in the workplace and in education. The guest speaker is a parent of a student at Sacred Heart who has tremendous experience with AI. According to Dr. Neebe, “The goal of bringing in this speaker is for educators to have time to learn more about how the world is changing around us with respect to AI and how these changes impact business, global economics, and politics. By showing the use of AI outside of the classroom, educators will be better equipped to make effective use of AI within the classroom. This way, once students graduate from Sacred Heart, they will have the tools they need for college and careers to use AI effectively and ethically. We don’t want to punish kids for using AI responsibly.” She also said, “There is a natural urge to use technology to make our lives easier. But we’re also here to learn. We’ll have to figure it out together since this technology is evolving as we speak. We’re building the plane on takeoff.”
Though the administration claims that the placement of this teacher workday has nothing to do with Halloween, students are excited about having November 1st off. Arjun Singh ‘25, said, “It gives students a great opportunity to socialize with their friends and enjoy the night of Halloween. In general, I think that it is a good thing we do not have school on the day after Halloween.” Arhaan Gupta Rastogi ‘25 said, “The day provides a good break for students after a night out because of Halloween to get some much-needed rest.”