The Quad

The Quad

Inside the Mind of a Teenage Girl

Inside the Mind of a Teenage Girl
Marie Djacga ‘27, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that we teenagers go about our days constantly wondering and worrying about what others are thinking. That isn’t always a bad thing, however; it’s natural to be curious about what others think and feel as they experience things that mirror your own life. Unfortunately, our perception of others often comes with a lot of misconceptions based on our social circles, culture, gender, and more. When looking at gender, implicit biases can surface when thinking about phrases like “girlhood,” “basic,” and more. One might think that all girls are the same inside and out — that we’re all fake, obsess over unimportant topics, and gossip relentlessly.
In discussing the term “basic” with a few girls on campus, they noted that being “basic” doesn’t necessarily have to hold a negative connotation.
“Being ‘basic’ is 100% not a bad thing, as long as you stay true to yourself and have a personality that you’re proud of,” Sofia Marinucci ‘27 said. Many students stated that the term “basic” doesn’t actually make sense, because, naturally, many girls are going to act the same. We’re surrounded by the same people each and every day, and a major way we grow is based on others, so it’s not surprising.
“I don’t think you can be ‘basic’ on the inside,” Ana Pratt ‘27 said, which perfectly encapsulates who teens truly are. We’re all navigating life in our own unique way, and your beliefs and unspoken thoughts are who you are, not what others see.
In asking female students about their daily thoughts, they brought up school and social life, including friends, social media, appearance, and family. While this is a very surface-level look into the female teenage mind, many ideas overlap. With the exception of things like college, many of their answers were very similar. Without telling them that their answers lined up very well with others’, I asked students whether or not they thought the workings of their brains were comparable to those around them. Every single student said yes, and that they didn’t think that was a bad thing.
So do our thoughts change as we grow, and how? The previous answers show that if I were to apply the same type of questions to an older group of women with comparable experiences, the answers might overlap also.
“You’ll find similar categories of things within groups because it relates to the stage of life that you’re analyzing,” said Monika Nagy, Director of Health and Wellness. This goes to show that our thoughts mirror those of the ones we interact with daily, and additionally with people we share similarities with, even into adulthood. Your family is your main influence when you’re younger, and when you get older, around high school, you start to spend more time away from them, and that feeling of belonging as a survival condition grows. Nagy stated, “It’s not at all surprising to me that many answers were the same, because it’s developmentally adaptive, and you all are in the same stage right now, and you want to belong.” In simpler terms, having similar thoughts to our peers doesn’t make us incapable of having our own personality, it’s just the natural course of life based on our experiences thus far.
So is being “basic” a bad thing? In reality, the way it’s used in general is implausible. All teenagers, not even just girls, will have mirroring thoughts that naturally overlap one another’s. It’s part of the way we grow, and it’s based on our shared experiences. It’s what is deep inside, what makes you have your own unique identity that matters.